Thursday, February 25, 2010

FAKE OR REAL?

Even in 27 degree weather, the Glacier Run construction team is working hard. One project that is being created is a 26-foot glacier ice wall in the polar bear exhibit portion of Glacier Run.

The detail is spectacular because the glacier actually looks like it is pushing through a rock face and has real icicles. The glacier wall is made up of white concrete. One of the final steps in the process will be adding paint including touches of blue paint to create a true glacier look.

To protect the ongoing work of the glacier wall, plastic is currently draped over scaffolding so it doesn’t get too cold. Since the wall isn’t visible when walking past the construction area, here some sneak peek photos for you!

Remember – the polar bear habitat won’t open until 2011 but the seal and sea lion habitat opens this summer!!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you all are doing this! Blogspot is a great way to get the word out about Glacier Run!

    I volunteered there for 5 years when I was growing up, and when I left, you had just started to move the animals to start working, when the budget cuts came. I'm so glad you have been able to get the funds together to really get the project underway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go POLAR BEARS!!!!!! I am so excited for it. Polar bears are one of my most favorite animals. They are so graceful and beautiful. Sea Lions are also one of my favorites. They are so funny to watch.

    ReplyDelete